EC000034 Fibre optic cable: features EF001625 and EF011806

Last comment 02/02/2018 15:50 by Marc
· Mark as unread
Nicolas Batas-Bjelic 4 years ago created
We think all the "Rubber" values could be added to EF001625, as well as Polyethylene and Polypropylene, as they are all materials and not specifications.
Do you agree?

Marc Habets 4 years ago created
PE and PP are polyolefins again. For rubber it would be technically possible, but then you need to remove the main value EV000169: Rubber from the list, or else it would no longer be an unambiguous list. But the risk is that many users will not know the difference between this different rubber types. As it is now, I can choose rubber and get all the cables classified as having a rubber outer sheath, even if I don't know the difference between the subspecifications. And anyone looking for a very specific rubber type can also find it quickly. But if you put all the subtypes in the main material feature, then you force users to make a choice between different very specific rubber types, where most probably have no idea what the difference is. 

By the way, the solution for these materials in cable classes was long and heavily discussed in an international cable expert group. I already know that some Dutch manufacturers are not happy with the result, but they did not object when they were asked to react. Some there will be some discussion on this for sure, but before we change it again, we need to be 110% sure it will last this time. So in this case it does not matter much we think, but what the manufacturers can agree on. 
OK so it's maybe best if we don't change anything then.
OK so it's maybe best if we don't change anything then.
Marc Habets 4 years ago created
If you think something is not correct of course you can suggest improvements. Sometimes these can be implemented easily, in this case be prepared for some discussion ?. I am sure this will be discussed again anyway.